Visiting Bend in the early fall offers less crowds and plenty of fun activities for families. Engaging in fall family activities like visiting a pumpkin patch and enjoying the foliage can be a wonderful way to make lasting memories. Here’s a guide on how to make the most of these activities:
Bend Fall Festival (Sept 29 – Oct 1, 2023): Celebrate the Autumn season with crafts, art, music, and more. The annual tradition brings the best of the PNW culture right to the heart of downtown Bend. Enjoy a full weekend of fall fun during Central Oregon’s favorite time of year! Remember that Tetherow lodging guests can take the shuttle for free to downtown Bend (advanced reservations required). Learn more here.
Concerts at the Hayden Homes Amphitheater: Throughout September. The Goo Goo Dolls. Kids Bop, The Lumineers and Counting Crows are all performing in Bend in September. Remember that Tetherow lodging guests can take the shuttle for free to Bend’s Old Mill District (advanced reservations required). Learn more here.
Pumpkin Patches & Alpaca Farms: Throughout October, immerse yourself in fall fun at a variety of local pumpkin patches and local farms. We recommend the DD Pumpkin Patch and the Smith Rock Pumpkin Patch, along with the Crescent Moon Ranch to meet the local Alpacas!
Enjoy pumpkin picking, hayrides, petting zoos, corn mazes, great photo opportunities and tasty seasonal treats.
Fall Outdoor Activities:
Certainly, there are plenty of enjoyable fall outdoor activities to partake in. Some local ideas to consider:
- Relax in the hot tub: Tetherow lodging guests have access to the hot tubs at Tetherow Sport, and guests of the vacation rental homes have their own hot tubs.
- Hiking: Fall offers cooler temperatures and stunning foliage, making it an excellent time for hiking. Explore trails in the Deschutes National Forest, or simply along the river in downtown Bend, and enjoy the vibrant colors of the changing leaves.
- Biking: Go for a bike ride on the hundreds of miles of trails around the area (or on Tetherow’s many trails) and take in the fall sights. You’ll find great trail bike maps here. https://bendtrails.org/trails-of-central-oregon/bend-trail-map/
- Bonfires: Fall evenings are perfect for gathering around a bonfire with friends or family. Roast marshmallows, tell stories, and enjoy the warmth. Ask about availability for s’mores kits and firepits at Tetherow!
- Photography: If you’re into photography, fall provides a wealth of beautiful scenes to capture, from the changing leaves to gorgeous sunsets.
- Fishing: Enjoy some quiet time by the water while fishing. Fall can be an excellent season for certain fish and Central Oregon is a fishing paradise with the Deschutes River and the many Cascades Lakes.
- Remember to check the weather and dress appropriately for the activities you have planned. Fall weather can be quite unpredictable, so it’s a good idea to bring layers and jackets. Also, consider the opening hours and any reservations needed for the pumpkin patch or other attractions.
Lastly, focus on being present in the moment and enjoying quality time with your family. These activities provide a great opportunity to bond, have fun, and appreciate the beauty of the season together.
Tetherow is a wonderful basecamp for your fall family adventures in Bend!