Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) is indeed a magical experience that combines adventure, tranquility, and a close connection to nature. Many ideal bodies of water are just a short distance from Tetherow, including the multiple lakes in the Cascades and the Deschutes River flowing through Bend’s Old Mill District. While you’re here, take the time to indulge in the magic of stand-up paddleboarding:
- Immersion in nature: SUP allows you to explore and enjoy various bodies of water such as lakes and rivers of various speeds. Whether you’re gliding across calm waters or navigating gentle riffles, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the natural beauty surrounding you. The sensation of being out on the water, away from the noise and distractions of daily life, can be incredibly serene and rejuvenating.
- Versatility and accessibility: Stand-up paddleboarding is suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. It provides an excellent full-body workout as you engage your core muscles for balance, and your arms, back, and legs for paddling. It’s a low-impact activity that offers cardiovascular benefits while being gentle on your joints.
- Sense of freedom and adventure: SUP gives you the freedom to explore at your own pace and discover hidden gems on the water. Whether you’re meandering along a serene shoreline or embarking on a longer excursion, the open expanse of water and the feeling of gliding across its surface evoke a sense of adventure and discovery.
- Wildlife encounters: SUP offers a unique vantage point to observe and interact with wildlife. In Central Oregon, you’ll spot Bald Eagles and other birds of prey, fish, deer, elk, otters, turtles and more. You have the opportunity to witness nature up close without disturbing its delicate balance. These encounters can be awe-inspiring and create lasting memories.
- Social and community aspects: Stand-up paddleboarding can be enjoyed alone for introspection and solitude, but it can also be a social activity. Joining group SUP outings or participating in races and events creates opportunities to connect with like-minded individuals who share a passion for the sport. Building connections and enjoying the camaraderie of the paddleboarding community can add an extra layer of magic to the experience.
Looking to join a SUP community in Bend? Or to rent gear on your Bend, Oregon vacation? Check out our friends at Stand On Liquid, Powder House or Tumalo Creek Canoe & Kayak. You can also book guided trips with Suncountry Tours.
Remember to always prioritize safety when engaging in stand-up paddleboarding. Wear a personal flotation device (PFD), learn proper paddling techniques, and be aware of weather conditions and any specific regulations or guidelines for the area you’re paddling in. With the right precautions in place, stand-up paddleboarding can truly be a magical and transformative activity.